Over 40 representatives from multiple sectors -government, private sector, academia and civil society- met between December 05 and 06 2018 in the workshop Dominican Republic: The Path to the Data Revolution to Promote Sustainable Development, which sought to strengthen the data ecosystem for sustainable development, and was organized by the Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development (MEPyD), the National Statistics Office (ONE) and the High-Level Inter-institutional National Commission for Sustainable Development of the Dominican Republic, in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data and Cepei.
The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD) and the Centro de Pensamiento Estratégico Internacional (Cepei) have joined efforts to increase the impact of the Global Agenda on Sustainable Development in Latin America and the Caribbean, looking forward to creating synergies aimed at the generation of data for sustainable development and the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The National Statistics Office (ONE) of the Dominican Republic has joined the partnership, seeking to contribute to strengthen the data ecosystem for the SDGs in the country.
Within the framework of this alliance, the ONE, together with the Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development (MEPyD) and the High-Level Inter-institutional National Commission for Sustainable Development organized a workshop that identified and prioritized strategic actions for the improvement in the use and production of data, required for the monitoring and follow-up of the SDGs; as well as for the elaboration of an action plan oriented to the development of capacities and the generation of data for the SDGs Commission of the Dominican Republic.
The two-day workshop, was developed by providing a space for debate where different actors had the opportunity to actively participate and offer their contributions, experiences and perspectives on data for sustainable development.
The meeting had two kinds of sessions: the first one, was composed of expert panels and a space for Q&A, where participants were asked to clarify their doubts to identify lessons learned from the process of measuring the SDGs, and elements that can be applied to the country.
The second session, also composed of expert panels, led to a workshop by groups that allowed to define needs, strengths, challenges, perspectives and work opportunities.
The opening ceremony of the workshop was attended by the Minister of Economy, Planning and Development, Isidoro Santana; the Director of the National Statistics Office, Alexandra Izquierdo; the Regional Director for Africa of the Global Data Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD), Davis Adieno; and the Director of Cepei, Philipp Schönrock.
“Statistical systems must devote attention to transform, compile and consolidate data for Sustainable Development Goals indicators”.Isidoro Santana, Minister of Economy, Planning and Development (MEPyD)
“Recognizing the national potential for the use of administrative data for statistical purposes and, especially, for monitoring and compliance with the commitments assumed by the country, represents a significant advance in the production of statistical information required to monitor the 17 SDGs and the 2030 Agenda”.Alexandra Izquierdo, Director, National Statistics Office (ONE)
“More than 21 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean have created SDGs Commissions dedicated to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda. The Dominican Republic is one of them”.Philipp Schönrock, Director, Cepei
- Alynn Sánchez from the Statistics Division of ECLAC tells us about the alignment of the countries of the LAC region from the statistical point of view [interview in Spanish]
- Interview with Alexandra Izquierdo, Director of the National Statistics Office (ONE): commitment of the Dominican Republic with the 2030 Agenda [interview in Spanish]
- Isidoro Santana, Minister of Economy, Planning and Development of the Dominican Republic: What is the contribution of MEPyD to SDG awareness? [interview in Spanish]
- Luis González, Statistical Division of the United Nations: alignment of SDG indicators with national policy plans [interview in Spanish]
- República Dominicana: The Path to the Data Revolution to Promote Sustainable Development
- Alexandra Izquierdo dice falta tecnología para Objetivos de Desarrollo Sostenibles | El Día
- Entrevista a Philipp Schönrock | Programa radial Cuentas claras (La Nota 957 FM)
- Ministro de Economía considera República Dominicana puede ganar mucho en su relación con China | MEPyD
- Ministro no apoya TLC China | Hoy Digtal
- ONE Destaca la Importancia de las fuentes de información no tradicionales y nuevas tecnologías para medir | Diario las Hispaniola