Cepei, PARIS21 and Open Data Watch presented the fourth webinar of the Beyond the Numbers series where we discussed the intersection of gender equality and development data.
Gender-disaggregated data need to be collected, analyzed, and made openly available to unlock opportunities for women and girls and to track progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). A broad range of actors needs to work together to identify gender data gaps, create new methodologies to provide proper disaggregation, establish new data sources, and disseminate gender data related findings. This process of convening actors to close the gender data gap was recently featured at the 50th United Nations Statistics Commission meeting in March. Shortly thereafter, from March 11 to 22, hundreds of gender equality experts and advocates gathered at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City for the Commission on the Status of Women. The conclusion of these important events provides a unique opportunity to discuss the intersectionality between the development data and gender equality communities and to find a way forward.
In order to discuss gender equality and development data, this webinar brought together experts from Open Data Watch, Data2X, the Center of Excellence of International Development Research (IDRC) and WorldPop / Flowminder. Each speaker presented his ongoing initiatives that aim to close the gender data gaps and what is needed to unite different actors within the gender equality space, including academics, international organizations, politicians and civil society organizations.
- How have conversations on gender data gaps for the SDGs progressed since their adoption in September 2015?
- What are the persistent gender data gaps? And why?
- To what extent are we moving beyond gender data gaps identification and working on solutions? What are some of the current solutions?
- Closing gender data gaps are important but so is closings gaps between data communities. What are some current examples of partners working together to close data gaps?
- What actors in the gender data ecosystem could benefit from greater interaction and collaboration? What hinders their connectivity? How can barriers be broken down?
🎥 Bridging the Gender Data Gap and Connecting Data Communities