This year the HLPF takes place from July 9 to 18, and includes the ministerial meeting for three days, from July 16 to 18.
The High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) was established by the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development as the central platform for monitoring and reviewing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the 2030 Agenda, by all Member States of the UN. Every year since 2016, countries present their Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs) to the international community in this space, which is carried out under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC). There, they describe how their process of implementation of the SDGs is going. This year the HLPF takes place from July 9 to 18, and includes the ministerial meeting for three days, from July 16 to 18.
But, 2019 also marks a special moment for the implementation process of the 2030 Agenda, since the first summit level HLPF meeting will be held under the auspices of the General Assembly of the United Nations, four years after the initial Forum. From September 24 to 25, the heads of state and government of the Member States will meet in New York for a large-scale review of the 17 SDGs. It is the first time a meeting at this level will be held, after the Agenda 2030 was adopted in September 2015.
Opening Plenary of the HLPF 2919, July 9, 2019, New York. Photo: © IISD Reporting Services
A specific theme to be treated during the Forum has been chosen for each HLPF. This year’s theme will be: “Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality”. A series of SDGs are also chosen and will be reviewed in depth during the meeting.
The chosen SDGs for 2019 are:
- SDG 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- SDG 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
This year Cepei will also be present at the Forum, as we have been since 2016, with our analysis on the presentations of the National Voluntary Reviews on SDG implementation that will be made by the Latin America and the Caribbean countries. On this occasion, four LAC countries will present their VNRs. We will see 2 countries (Chile and Guatemala) present their progress report for the second time. And Santa Lucia and Guyana will be reporting for the first time.
We will publish a summary of the follow-up report for each country, which will be available in August in a complete version, along with a comparative report. We invite you to stay tuned to our social media networks (@infoCepei) and our website (www.cepei.org).
Presentation Dates: Latin American & the Caribbean VNRs
- Chile: Monday 15, from 11 a.m. to 12.30 p.m., in a panel with the Philippines, Azerbaijan and Sierra Leone
- Guatemala: Monday 15, from 12.30 to 15.00, on a panel with Indonesia and Turkey
- Saint Lucia: Wednesday 17, 10:30 am to 2:00 pm, on panel with Kuwait, Mauritius, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Africa and Tonga.
- Guyana: Thursday 18, 10 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., on a panel with Congo, Iraq, Lichtenstein, Oman and Nauru.
Documents of interest
- Check out the official speech of the VNR presentation of Guatemala
- Check out the follow-up report prepared by Cepei on its presentation in 2017 (
- Chile presented for the second time its National Voluntary Review (VNR) at the HLPF 2019 on the progress in the implementation of the Agenda 2030. Check the report (Spanish)
- Check out the official transcript of Chile’s speech of its VNR presentation
- Follow-up report prepared by Cepei on Chile´s VNR presentation in 2017
- Saint Lucia presented for the first time its National Voluntary Review (VNR) at the HLPF on the progress in the implementation of the Agenda 2030. Check the report
- Check out the PPT used during Saint Lucia´s VNR presentation
- Check out the speech of the VNR presentation
- Check out the Main messages document of Guayana
- Check out the speech of the VNR presentation of Guyana
Different countries of Latin America and the Caribbean presented their positions in the General Debate that takes place during the HLPF 2019:
- Argentina spoke on behalf of the group of member states supporting SDG 16 👉 https://bit.ly/2YakxYW
- Mexico represented the MIKTA Group, which it integrates with Australia, Indonesia and Korea 👉 https://bit.ly/2GhpOUc
- Paraguay spoke on behalf of the Mediterranean Developing States 👉https://bit.ly/2JO1Bpo
- The Dominican Republic also took the floor to report on their national situation 👉 https://bit.ly/2XMDmlE
- Cuba´s contribution to the General Debate of the #HLPF 👉https://bit.ly/2Ghwa60
- Ecuador participated with an intervention by Luis Gallegos, Permanent Representative of Ecuador to the United Nations 👉 https://bit.ly/2O3bUvq